|Appearance||Grayish-white to yellow powder|
|Heating loss||≤0.4 %|
|Packing||In 25KG bag or as per customer’s requirement|
|Storage||Store in dry ,clean and avoid direct sun light .|
|Shipping||In room temperature|
|CAS No.||149-30-4||Boiling Point (℃)||305.0±25.0|
|Molecular Weight||167.251||Melting Point (℃)||177-181|
|Appearance||Grayish-white to yellow powder||Flash Point (℃)||243|
|HS Code||29342020||Solubility||<0.1 g/100 mL at 19 ºC|
MBT Properties and Applications
2-Mercaptobenzothiazole (MBT) is an organic compound with the chemical formula C7H5NS2. It belongs to a class of compounds known as benzothiazoles, which contain a benzene ring fused with a thiazole ring. MBT is commonly used as a corrosion inhibitor, rubber accelerator, and in the production of dyes and pharmaceuticals.
Here are some key points about 2-Mercaptobenzothiazole:
1. Chemical properties: MBT is a pale yellow crystalline solid that is soluble in organic solvents such as ethanol and acetone. It has a melting point of around 178-181°C.
2. Corrosion inhibitor: MBT is widely used as a corrosion inhibitor in various industries, including the metalworking and oil industries. It helps protect metal surfaces by forming a protective film that prevents corrosion and rusting.
3. Rubber accelerator: MBT is commonly used as a rubber accelerator in the production of rubber products, particularly in the vulcanization process. It promotes the cross-linking of rubber molecules, which improves the mechanical properties and durability of the rubber.
4. Biocidal properties: MBT exhibits biocidal activity against various microorganisms, including bacteria, fungi, and algae. It is used in some antifouling paints and biocides to control the growth of organisms on surfaces exposed to water.
5. Health concerns: While MBT has various industrial applications, it is important to handle it with care. Prolonged or excessive exposure to MBT can cause skin and eye irritation. It is also known to be toxic if ingested or inhaled in high concentrations. Therefore, appropriate safety measures and protective equipment should be used when working with MBT.